The Finnish energy consortium Fennovoima on Friday handed over a safety report on its proposed nuclear power plant in Pyhäjoki, Northern Ostrobothnia to the Finnish Radiation Safety Authority (STUK).
STUK will in turn deliver its own evaluation of the report to the Economic Affairs Ministry next spring, when environmental impact assessments are also due.
Fennovoima hopes to sign a deal with the Russian state nuclear contractor Rosatom for delivery of the 1200 MW Hanhikivi-1 nuclear plant by the end of this year.
Former Greens chair calls for rethink
On Saturday outgoing minister Heidi Hautala told Yle that the Fennovoima project should be reconsidered by Parliament. She noted that the nature of the venture has changed considerably since the legislature and government gave it a positive decision-in-principle.
Following the withdrawal of German power giant E.ON from the consortium, it decided to opt for a smaller, cheaper pressurised water reactor provided by Rosatom – which was not mentioned as an option in the initial proposal.
Last month Minister of Economic Affairs Jan Vapaavuori said that the government would not make any decisions regarding the proposed plant until after the safety and environmental studies are complete.
In 2002, the Green League left the government to protest approval of Finland's fifth nuclear reactor. The Fennovoima facility would be the country's sixth.