Police in Eastern Uusimaa have released a 19-year-old man detained last week on suspicion of killing a postal worker in Vantaa.
The young woman died two days after the attack, which occurred as she was delivering newspapers in the early hours of Thursday 17 November.
The suspect had turned himself in to police and confessed that he had carried out the violent crime.
However, in a statement issued on Monday, the police department said the suspect is not believed to have had any involvement in the attack.
The statement added that police interviews as well as technical evidence revealed the 19-year-old man had no connection to the case, and that his confession was based on information gleaned from media reports.
Chief Inspector Tero Tyynelä told Yle last Thursday that the suspect's confession is not enough in such a serious case, but that other evidence is required to substantiate a suspect's involvement.
Police previously detained a 23-year-old man on suspicion of the killing, but later released him due to a lack of evidence.
"The man, who was previously a suspect, was released as police had no grounds to keep him in custody. We are still investigating the course of events of the night in relation to him," Tyynelä said when the first suspect was released.
Investigators have renewed their call for witnesses to come forward with any information that may be relevant to the case, particularly relating to sightings in Vantaa's Myyrmäki and Kaivoksela areas between 3 and 4am on 17 November.
The police can be contacted at vihjeet.ita-uusimaa[at]poliisi.fi or by phoning 050 399 9026.
Would you like a roundup of the week's top stories in your inbox every Thursday? Then sign up to receive our weekly email!