Fortum announces savings plan that includes job cuts

The energy giant aims to reduce costs by 100 million euros by the end of 2025.

Green flag with Fortum logo, atop a flagpole and blowing in the wind, surrounded by leafy trees.
Fortum CEO and President, Markus Rauramo, called the current operating environment "challenging". Image: Rinna Härkönen / Yle
Yle News

Finnish majority-state-owned energy firm Fortum has announced a savings programme of around 100 million euros that may result in job cuts.

The firm said its operating environment and general economic conditions had further weakened since last summer.

The company said it was initiating a programme to cut costs and secure cash flows, aiming to gradually reduce its costs by 100 million euros by the end of 2025, adding that figure was around 10 percent of its fixed costs last year.

In a press release issued on Thursday, the company said it expects that the savings programme "will also include personnel reductions".

Fortum said it will announce more details about the savings programme later.

Fortum CEO and President, Markus Rauramo, called the current operating environment "challenging".

"We need to manage the prevailing uncertainty and secure our long-term competitiveness. Compared to a year ago, Fortum is a different, much smaller company. Therefore, we need to prioritise and adjust to fit our new structure," Rauramo said in the release.

Users with an Yle ID can leave comments on our news stories. You can create your Yle ID via this link. Our guidelines on commenting and moderation are explained in this article. You can comment on this article until 23:00 on 3 November.

Latest: paketissa on 10 artikkelia