While emergency measures to control the spread of the coronavirus have closed or altered the availability of many services in recent weeks, the Easter holiday will bring some further temporary changes.
- Shops can set their own opening hours. The S-Group has announced that while many of its supermarkets will be open on Good Friday and Easter Monday, they will have restricted hours. According to Kesko, opening hours of its K-Supermarkets may be shorter than normal during the holiday. Lidl says all of its markets will be open, but with varying business hours. Shoppers are advised to check opening hours online.
- Alko, Finland's national monopoly alcohol retailer, is closed on Good Friday, as well as on Sunday and Monday. Its outlets are open Thursday and Saturday. Right now, some Alko shops are observing shortened opening hours. Listings are available on the Alko website (siirryt toiseen palveluun).
- The national mail carrier Posti has announced that all of its retail outlets are open Saturday and Sunday regardless of the holiday. Some individual service points and post boxes have been closed because they are located in facilities shut down by coronavirus control measures. More information is available at Posti's website (siirryt toiseen palveluun).
- Bank offices are closed for the whole of the holiday weekend. Some banks have implemented restricted hours during the coronavirus epidemic. Banks have informed customers of changes on their websites.
- Road traffic is usually heavy during the Easter weekend, but the public has been advised to avoid unnecessary travel and the region of Uusimaa is still closed off from the rest of the country. For the first time since it was founded, Finland's Automobile and Touring Club will not be providing special roadside services for motorists this holiday weekend.
- The region of Uusimaa, in particular, is bracing for a Easter weekend rush on national parks, and police will be out in force to direct traffic. Anyone intent on an outing this weekend should read this item on what to consider when planning to spend time outdoors.
- Public transport will see schedule changes. Both long-distance and commuter trains of the state railways VR are operating on Friday timetables this Thursday, and on Sunday timetables Friday through Monday. Some further changes have been made to individual departures. Details are available from VR's website (siirryt toiseen palveluun). Bus companies have also posted revised timetables online.