News |

Finnish man arrested in London on terror charges

Finland’s security and intelligence police unit Supo said that it is cooperating with British officials on the case.

Kulkuportteja Heathrow'n lentokentällä.
Image: David Sims / AOP

Police in London arrested a 29 year-old Finnish man on Monday on suspicion of involvement in a terror plot.

Finland’s security and intelligence police outfit Supo said that it is cooperating with UK officials on the case.

”We are aware of the case and are cooperating with British officials to get to the bottom of it,” Supo communications specialist Verna Leinonen said.

On Wednesday, British police said they had detained the 29 year-old Finnish citizen on suspicion of "preparation of terrorist acts".

The man was held late Sunday evening at Heathrow airport as he prepared to board a connecting flight. On Monday he was transferred to a police station in south London. According to daily Helsingin Sanomat, the destination of the connecting flight had not been disclosed.

Police said that the arrest was not related to any offences committed at the airport. HS also reported on Wednesday that the Finnish Foreign Ministry had confirmed that a Finnish national had been arrested, but did not disclose any further details, including whether or not he lived in Finland.

Other Finnish citizens also suspected of terrorism

In 2016, London police arrested a 19 year-old Finnish man at Stansted Airport on suspicion of engaging in terrorism. He had reportedly been trying to go to Syria to join the extreme terrorist group Islamic State. He was later sentenced to a three-and-a-half-year term at a youth correctional facility for plotting to commit a terrorist act.

Last autumn, another man believed to be a Finnish citizen was charged for engaging in terrorist activities by British authorities. The man – who was serving in the British Army – was accused of being a member of the far-right group National Action, banned in Britain last year for its overt neo-Nazi activity.

He was acquitted of the terrorism charges, but was slapped with a two-year prison sentence for other offences, such as the unauthorised possession of tear gas canisters. He was also expelled from the Army.

Latest in: News


Our picks