The 24-year-old man suspected of a sabre attack in Kuopio in early October has been moved from a public hospital to a prison infirmary in Hämeenlinna, according to the National Bureau of Investigation.
The NBI said that he will continue to receive medical care at the facility. The suspect was injured when police responded to an alert concerning the incident, in which one woman was killed and nine other people were wounded.
"The suspected [involved] in a violent act at the Savo vocational college in Kuopio has been transferred to the Hämeenlinna prison hospital, where the man suspected of offences such as murder and several counts of attempted murder will receive follow-up care,” the NBI said in a Tweet on Thursday.
The suspect had been remanded into pre-trial custody on 4 October as he lay in hospital, having participated in the hearing via a video link.
Police are continuing their investigations into the incident with interviews and technical examinations. The preliminary investigation is expected to wrap up in early 2020.
Suspect shot in the leg
On 1 October, police responded quickly to a call about the incident in which victims were attacked in a classroom at the vocational college.
According to lead NBI investigator Olli Töyräs, police stopped the suspect by shooting him in the leg. Police were said to have fired two shots towards the man.
In Finland the prosecutor’s office investigates all instances where police officers discharge their firearms. In this case the prosecutor said that the responding officers were justified in shooting, since the suspect had approached them with a blade and an air rifle and did not obey the orders they issued.