News |

More delays at Olkiluoto 3 reactor

Energy firm Teollisuuden Voima (TVO) now says that electricity production will not begin at the new Olkiluoto reactor in 2014 as had been planned.

Olkiluodon 3-reaktori rakenteilla vuonna 2010.
TVO says the fault lies with AREVA-Siemens. Image: Yle

Construction of the new unit began in 2005, and it was originally scheduled to come on line in 2009. The AREVA-Siemens consortium notified TVO that the plant’s automation system would not be ready by the current deadline.  

TVO is now requesting guarantees over when the new reactor will be ready, as the contractor has not yet provided a new timetable. TVO says it is unhappy about the delays, but lays the blame on the contractor.

”The plant unit's installation works and plant automation system engineering under the responsibility of the supplier have not progressed according to the supplier's schedules. Even though we are not pleased with the situation and the fact that there have been repeated challenges with the time scheduling, works are progressing and solutions for remaining I&C items are fixed step by step,” said Senior Vice President of Corporate Relations Anna Lehtiranta.

Meanwhile Areva-Siemens lays the blame for the delay at TVO's door, citing deficiencies in organisation.

Teollisuuden Voima announced on Tuesday a loss of 11 million euros for the first half of this year. This is five times more than a year ago. The company says the loss is primarily due to its nuclear power sector.

Share your thoughts 0 comments

Posiva President Reijo Sundell insists there is no space for waste from utilities other than TVO or Fortum in the Onkalo underground disposal site on Finland's west coast.

Comments

Latest in: News

Headlines

Our picks

Latest

Muualla Yle.fi:ssä