Initial discussions on a government plan to create 30,000 new jobs have been pushed to the end of the year, Prime Minister Sanna Marin said on Wednesday. The discussions were originally scheduled to take place during government budget discussions in September.
The job creation plan is part of the government’s target to reach a 75-percent employment level. The government had initially said it would discuss this matter in the spring budget session and hammer out the details in autumn.
The coronavirus crisis has however postponed the negotiations to the end of the year.
"We have agreed that the schedule will be a little more flexible. However, in such a manner that a decision is made this year," Sanna Marin said as she headed into cabinet talks on further relaxing travel restrictions imposed to curb the coronavirus epidemic.
Government sticking to goals
Just last week, Minister of Finance Matti Vanhanen told daily Helsingin Sanomat that the government would take steps to create 30,000 jobs by the time September budget discussions begin. He added employment-boosting pledge in the government programme still stands.
Although a firm plan will not be ready according to Vahnanen's timeline Marin said that the government should still have a broad “vision for the 30,000” during the autumn budget negotiations.
"It is possible that we may not have all the processes in place by the time of the budget talks. But the vision has to be there and the government will stick to this major goal," Marin said.
Marin said that the government intends to increase its 60,000-job target due to the difficult economic situation in Finland. She added that structural reforms are required to improve employment.