Police authorities in Oulu said the suspect in the underage sexual abuse case was likely detained by Germans for entering the country unlawfully.
The 25-year-old man, who was arrested in Germany last week, was released by local police by mistake on Tuesday due to "a breakdown in communication between authorities".
Detective Superintendent Markus Kiiskinen from Oulu Police said an international warrant was issued for the suspect on Tuesday. "It wasn’t our assumption that he would flee abroad. That’s why an international warrant was not necessary before now," Kiiskinen said.
Kiiskinen also said the reason for the suspect’s arrest in Germany is not known. "It may well be that he chose to leave Finland after hearing he was being sought by the police. Then he ended up in German police custody for entering the country illegally, for example," Kiiskinen added.
Police in Oulu are investigating five separate cases of sexual offences in which all of the suspected victims were minors. Police previously announced one major investigation involving eight suspects all of whom came to Finland as quota refugees or asylum seekers.
The suspect released by the German police is one of eight men being investigated. He is suspected of aggravated sexual exploitation of a minor, aggravated rape and assault, according to police.
There have been no sightings of the suspect since Tuesday, Kiiskinen said, but cooperation with the German police would continue.