A psychologist who specialises in helping people deal with crises tells Yle that people should try not to allow themselves to become overwhelmed by fear after tragedies like last week's knife attack in Turku - but, she acknowledges, sometimes that's easier said than done.
Finnish law enforcement officials have confirmed that the 18 year-old who police suspect carried out a bloody attack in Turku last week was a rejected asylum seeker and had been in the process of appealing the decision.
Finnish police have added the names of four more individuals to a remand hearing scheduled for Tuesday in Southwest Finland's District Court, in the wake of a deadly attack in Turku's Market Square on Friday evening. Four Moroccan men that were detained for questioning are now suspected of being involved with the terror-related crimes, in addition to the main suspect, Abderrahman Mechkah.
In early 2017, police in Southwest Finland received a tip from a member of the public that Abderrahman Mechkah - the 18 year-old, now suspected of killing two people and injuring eight others in a knife attack Friday - appeared to be radicalised and interested in extreme ideology. On Monday the Finnish Security Intelligence Service (Supo) confirmed that it had received the tip forwarded from local police, but said it contained no concrete information about plans for a terrorist attack.
National Police Commissioner Seppo Kolehmainen says his force's swift response to the knife attack in Turku likely saved at least one life on Friday. Just three minutes transpired between when the closest unit on patrol received the call and the two responding officers halted the suspect. Kolehmainen says police in Finland have been practicing their responses to many different scenarios for years.