Finland’s security and intelligence police Supo said that the case of the young Finnish national held in Britain on suspicion of terrorism had no direct links to Finland in light of current information.
"The individual has been abroad for several years, a long time, and the arrest took place overseas. This matter is not linked to Finland," said Supo chief inspector Tuomas Portaankorva.
Earlier on Monday London Metropolitan Police disclosed that the 19 year-old suspect resided in southern London in the Thornton Heath area. The man appeared in the Westminster Magistrates’ Court Monday afternoon. The suspect faces charges of attempting to join the extremist organisation Islamic State. However he has denied the allegations.
Prosecutors say that the man tried to travel to Syria by way of Romania. He was detained last Friday as he attempted to leave Stansted airport on a departing flight. Prosecutors also say that police found instruments in the man's possession that could be used in battle.
For its part Supo said that the number of people known to be leaving Finland for Syria or Iraq has remained the same: so far at least 70 people have traveled to conflict areas. It estimated that 15 – 18 have since been killed.