Sign up for our newsletter ⟩
News |

Yle: Suspected Helsinki gunman is construction firm boss

The building company, which operates in the Helsinki area, has reportedly seen significant growth in recent years.

Auto, jossa kylki lommola ja sivuikkunat rikki.
File photo of the scene of Tuesday afternoon's shooting incident in downtown Helsinki. Image: Matti Myller / Yle

Helsinki police has submitted a verbal request to the city's district court for a remand hearing to be held regarding murder charges of the main suspect in a downtown shooting that took place earlier this week, according to Helsinki District Court.

Authorities suspect the man fired several shots, targeting three people, at the intersection of Hietalahdenkatu and Porkkalankatu, late Tuesday afternoon.

Police said they suspect a 32-year-old man, who was arrested shortly after the shooting incident, of three counts of attempted murder.

According to information obtained by Yle, the suspect is a resident of Vantaa with a Kosovo Albanian background and the CEO of a capital-area construction firm that was founded in 2014, a company which has reportedly seen increased business in recent years.

The firm had a reported turnover of one million euros last year, having grown from a turnover of 300,000 euros two years ago.

Two of Tuesday evening's shooting victims were hit by the gunfire, while a third escaped physically unharmed. All three of those targeted in the incident were reportedly born in the 1990s.

Helsinki District Court said the suspect's remand hearing is scheduled for Friday.

Latest in: News

Headlines

Our picks

Latest

Muualla Yle.fi:ssä